On my last trip to the grocery I found mushrooms (brown ones – sorry I dunno what they’re called, they look like small shitake or portabello mushrooms) and I immediately grabbed them. All I knew was that it was a meaty kinda mushroom that I could sauté.
What you need:
- Small pack of mushrooms. (BTW this recipe only works for white button mushrooms, brown button mushrooms, portabello, porcini mushrooms and will definitely not work for oyster mushrooms, straw mushrooms, tenga ng daga.) Sliced.
- Olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1-2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (use less if you don’t like it too sour)
- 2-3 tbsp. white wine (but I didn’t have white wine on hand so I used a rose called lambrusco, the wine is really used just to deglaze the pan)
- Italian Herb seasoning (or other dried herb like oregano, basil, thyme, etc.)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat your olive oil in a pan and sauté the minced garlic. Don’t let the garlic brown.
- Add in the sliced mushroom. Add salt, pepper and herbs to taste. Mix lightly. Allow to cook for a minute or so.
- Add balsamic vinegar and mix. Most of the balsamic will be caramelize and remain in the pan. Some of it will be absorbed by the mushroom. Allow to cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine, mix the mushrooms making sure you are able to scrape off the bottom and sides of the pan. Cook till the wine evaporates.
Voila! I love mushrooms. One day I hope to own a mushroom farm just so that I could eat mushrooms whenever I want.
For my dinner, these shrooms accompanied a smoked Bavarian sausage I got at the grocery, red rice and a glass of Lambrusco rose.
Sorry the photo’s blurred and I can’t retake it because I ate it all… hahaha
- Mushrooms (any mushroom) don’t keep well. So when you get it in the grocery or buy it from the market, make sure you use it within 24 – 36 hours. At 48 hours some types of mushrooms are just gross. You can always just throw them in the fridge and reheat anytime.
- The meaty type of mushroom can be eaten raw so don’t worry about undercooking it…though it is a bit of an acquired taste. To test whether you like it or not, cut yourself a slice of uncooked mushroom and eat it raw. If you cringe, raw or semi raw mushrooms aren’t for you, if you don’t cringe well! WOOHOO. I put white button mushrooms on fresh salad 😀 it tastes lovely. Just remember to eat them fresh.